Thursday, May 5, 2011

It All Adds Up -- What I learned from Poppy

"Some people don't realize that a hundred of these make a dollar."
That is what my grandpa (Poppy) said as he bent down to pick a penny up off the the parking lot outside of the gas station about 14 years ago. I don't think I will ever forget that. For being such a simple statement it has a lot of truth. I was reminded of it while listening to M. Russell Ballard's talk "Finding Joy through Loving Service" in the most recent general conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I think I am too often looking to be/see/do something great and expecting to do it all at once. I need to remember Poppy's words of wisdom and realize that those great things will come as the small, seemingly insignificant things all add up.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way listening to that talk! Your Poppy sounds like he was a very down-to-earth kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. That reminds me of the drip irrigation analogy by Elder Bednar. All great ways to describe the same concept. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that penny analogy. I think that's going to stick with me forever.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete