Sunday, June 10, 2012

Quick Trip to Melbourne

A while back (actually about 7 months back...I know, it's been too long), Garrett and I had the opportunity to take a quick trip to Melbourne (pronounced mell-bin; they don't always say their "R's" down here).

I call it an opportunity because I was asked to go with the family that I work for to care for the baby while they attended the Melbourne Cup (a big horse race), dinners, and parties.  As a form of payment for my time on the trip, they offered to pay for Garrett to come along on the trip as well, which was great because 1.) neither of us had been to Melbourne, and 2.)  Melbourne was on our list of places to visit in Australia. Two for two!  We accept.

Here is me and the little reason we got to go on the trip...


At this point, the little one was only 4 weeks old.  Because she was so little we couldn't stray too far away from the hotel and to the outskirts of town like we would have liked to, but just because she was with us (or I guess we were with her) didn't mean we weren't going to get out and explore the city.  I strapped her into the Baby Bjorn, packed the bottles and nappies, and we were off!



On our walk we came across St. Paul's Cathedral.  I love the tile work and high ceilings or cathedrals, and the same applied  here.  Beautiful.



Melbourne is a beautiful city with a funky vibe, which I love!  You've got to keep an eye out as you're walking around because there are a lot of cool little shops and cafes that are hidden in the alleys.  One of the alley-hidden treasures that we found was an alley where the buildings were covered in graffiti.  But this alley hadn't simply been tagged.  It had been covered in works of art.  It was amazing and I loved it.



As much as Garrett and I would have loved to go to the Melbourne Cup, we enjoyed ourselves none the less.  We plan to head back to again soon and discover the rest of Melbourne...and maybe go to Melbourne Cup.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted you to now that I TOTALLY miss you guys. Will the universe ever let us be neighbors again?!...I'm prepared to hope so :)

    ReplyDelete