Saturday, September 10, 2011

Massaman Curry Recipe



During our first week in Sydney, Garrett's supervisor was kind enough to treat us to dinner.  He chose a small Thai restaurant just a block away from the lodge we were staying at.  Thai food is big here.  It's everywhere!  I chose to order a curry called Massaman.  De. Li.Cious.  I liked it so much that the next week when Garrett and I ate at another Thai restaurant, I ordered it again.

Last week I decided to try making it myself.  I found this recipe online and love it.  The recipe calls for massaman paste.  You can buy it at just about any supermarket here, but I don't know how successful you will be in the states.  I'd try looking at an Asian supermarket.  If you have no luck, do not fear.  There is a recipe for the paste too.....buying it is just easier and make me like this recipe even more.....mix the ingredients, let is simmer for an hour and you're done.  So here are the recipes....

Massaman Curry

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 brown onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup massaman curry paste (we used Valcom brand)
  • 1 kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm cubes
  • 2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock or water
  • 375ml Carnation light & creamy coconut flavored evaporated milk (or substitute with coconut milk)
  • 300g small chat potatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • steamed jasmine rice, 1/4 cup roughly chopped dry roasted peanuts, and 1/2 cup coriander sprigs (optional), to serve

Method

  1. Heat oil in a large, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add beef and stir until well combined.
  2. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir until combined. Slowly add stock and evaporated milk, stirring constantly. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir through fish sauce, lemon juice and brown sugar. Serve with steamed rice, sprinkled with peanuts and coriander.

Massaman Paste

Ingredients

  • 8 dried long red chillies, seeded
  • 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 brown onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 stem lemon grass, trimmed, white part chopped
  • 3cm piece galangal, peeled, chopped

Method

  1. Place chillies in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain well. Roughly chop. Wrap shrimp paste in foil. Heat in a frying pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until roasted.
  2. Blend or process chillies, roasted shrimp paste, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, white pepper and 1 tablespoon cold water until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, 1 at a time, blending well after each addition until mixture forms a thick paste. Store paste in a clean, airtight jar in the fridge for up to 6 months.
 
 I highly recommend trying it out yourself.....I wouldn't be posting the recipe if I didn't like it.  If you don't feel like making it yourself, just come for a visit and I'll make it for you.  Delicious.  I can't get enough.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! But one question: If one were to attempt to make this delicious dish, could regular ginger be used instead of galangal? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think ginger should be just fine. Hope it turns out!

    ReplyDelete